Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hors d'oeuvre Week!

I'm hosting a bridal shower this Friday for Megan (yay!), so I'm in appetizer mode.  Here's my menu for the wine and hors d'oeuvre shower


  • Parmesan and Thyme Crackers
  • Roasted Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce
  • Salami and Sun Dried Tomato Rolls
  • Baked Brie with Mango Chutney
  • Savory Swirls with Pesto, Pine Nuts, and Sun Dried Tomatoes
  • Artichoke Bruschetta
  • Sweets (haven't decided exactly which sweets I'll be making.  Suggestions?! Oh, and the bride hates cake!)
  • and wine.  Lots and lots of wine.
Two of the items, the parm and thyme crackers and the salami rolls, will store well, so I made them ahead of time.  As I was making the parm crackers, I just knew that I had to share it with everyone.  It is such an easy recipe, and they look gorgeous.  They have the same consistency of a shortbread cookie, but with the delicious flavors of Parmesan and thyme.  Here's the recipe I used from Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 4 ounces of fresh, grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/4 c. all purpose flour.
Cream butter for 1 minute in mixer.  With mixer on low, add Parm, thyme, salt and pepper.  Combine.  With the mixer still on low speed, add the flour until the mixture is in large crumbles (1 minute or so).  I added about 1 tsp. of water here because the dough was way too dry.  

Dump the dough onto a floured board, press it into a ball, and roll into a 9 inch log.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or as long as 4 days!).


Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Cut log into 24 slices.  Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Bake for 22 minutes until lightly browned.  Be sure to rotate pan once during baking!

Cool and serve at room temperature.

Hot Tip: You can make the roll and freeze it for up to 6 months!  This is a great appetizer to always have on hand!

I must say that I am very proud of myself for taking my time this week.  I plan on making a few recipes each day leading up to Friday so I'm not overwhelmed with my menu.  I'll keep you guys update with the recipes that turn out the best.  I think it will be a delicious--and fun!--evening!


2 comments:

  1. Looks DELICIOUS - I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks WONDERFUL! For a sweet item, maybe you could make those cheesecake strawberries from my shower? They were oh so yummy, and not cake! (Seriously, who doesn't love cake!? I need to talk to Megan about this! :) )

    ReplyDelete

love your comments!