Monday, October 18, 2010

Remembering recipes

I absolutely love thinking about recipes that my mom used to make when we were little.  Family meals have such great memories that go along with them.  Yesterday, I remembered my mom and grandma making a tomato-less sloppy joe of sorts.  I remembered it was ground beef and rice, and we ate them on hamburger buns...but my memory ended there.

I asked my mom about it this morning, and she told me the secret ingredient was Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup (of which, they now make a light version!).  After I did a little bit of research, I found that there are a two restaurants in the Midwest (my mom grew up in Kansas) that are famous for their 'loose meat' sandwiches-- NuWay Cafe and Maid-Rite


I'm beyond excited to give my grandma a call and see if they've eaten there, and if this was her inspiration behind her memorable recipe.  And, of course, after all this memory diving, I'll be making these for dinner!

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 can Campbell's chicken gumbo soup
1/3 c. chopped onion (more if you like onions!)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 tsp. mustard
hamburger buns (toasted)

Cook beef until just brown.  Add onion, soup, mustard, salt and pepper.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Serve on hamburger buns.

Mmmmm. Definite comfort food.

What recipes do you make (or want to make) that remind you of family and home?

2 comments:

  1. mmmm - delish! I am marking this as a fave to make for James and me later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super tasty! I am definitely going to give it a try! My mom used to make this soup-ish thing called Peas and Macaroni--it's a tomato based soup with onions, peas, and macaroni. Totally brigs me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

love your comments!