Sunday, March 21, 2010

My own spin on chicken noodle soup....


For those of you not in Georgia, our weather was just plain cruel this weekend.  Sunny and in the 70s on Saturday made way for rainy and 50 degree weather.  Gross.

This nasty turn of events led to a cold weather necessity:  chicken soup!  Since it was rainy, I was definitely not going to make a run to the grocery story to grab the missing ingredients for a traditional chicken noodle soup, so I threw together what I had in my kitchen, and it made a rather tasty soup!

Here's what I had on hand....

Carrots
Spinach
Chicken (obvi)
Orzo pasta
Chicken broth
Garlic
Thyme
Crushed Red Pepper
Basil
Cilantro
Olive Oil
Lemons

Here's what I did...


  • Coat large pot with oil.  Add carrots.  Add salt.  Saute over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. 
  • Add garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper.  Continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes.
  • Cut up three boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Put in pot with spices and carrots.
  • Add chicken broth.  I used one carton, 32 oz., of Progresso chicken broth.  You might want to add more or less depending on how much chicken and pasta you plan on using.
  • Add lemon juice, basil, and cilantro.
  • Once the chicken has cooked through, add 2 c. orzo pasta.  Here, I added an additional few cups of water.
  • Bring the soup to a boil, and allow the orzo to cook through based on directions. 
  • Add spinach.
  • Continue to cook on medium heat until the spinach has wilted.
  • Serve and enjoy!

Hope everyone had a happy weekend!  Here's to another Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I wish I could just whip sometihng yummy up with what's available in my kitchen. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an interesting (and tasty looking) idea on how to use the Orzo pasta that I bought on sale at the store a month back. Usually I am fearless in the kitchen; but in this case I never had any ideas on how to cook it which sounded inspiring. I'll definitely give this recipe a try and let you know how it goes. Happy almost weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete

love your comments!