Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Delicously Fall...

....annnnnd I'm back!

After 6 (ish...) months off the grid and much prodding from many of y'all, I'm back on the blogging train.

I really, really missed it.  So, I'm really, really pumped to be back.

And, I might just find that a few wedding ideas may creep into this cooking blog.  :)

But, I'll remain true to my domain name today, and I'll share a few recipes that I made over the weekend.

...and what a great weekend it was!  I had Monday off (Thank YOU, Mr. Columbus!), and we had some folks over on Sunday to watch the Falcons win!

Sunday Menu
Chicken Stew
Jalapeno Corn Bread
Pumpkin Cupcakes

Chicken Stew
  • 1 Can Green Beans, do not drain
  • 1 Can Diced Tomatoes w/garlic and peppers, do not drain
  • 1 bag frozen potato wedges
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
  • 4 c. water
Seriously, easiest.recipe.ever.  Pour everything into your crock pot.  Low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

This makes for some of the most tender chicken you'll ever taste!  And it's absolutely PERFECT for a cool fall evening!


Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread

For those of you that have never had the opportunity to eat at Fox Brother's in Atlanta, I truly feel sorry for you.  If you live in Atlanta, then you need to get there..ASAP.  It is hands down the best BBQ in Atlanta, and it's pretty darn close to my favorite restaurant in Atlanta. 

I've been working to recreate a few of their recipes, and I finally succeeded at one of them: Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread.   David and I polished off my first batch way too quickly to be healthy.  I decided to make some more this weekend--when I knew we would have people to share it with!

3 cups all-purpose flour


1 cup yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons baking powder

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups milk

3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan

8 ounces shredded (We usually use a Monterrey jack/cheddar mix.)

2 jalapenos, seeded and minced (I usually sneak in a few of a seeds for an extra kick!)

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all dry ingredients (except the shredded cheese and jalapenos).  Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.  Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet mixture.  It will be a little lumpy, and that's okay!  Add cheese and jalapenos, stir until mixed evenly in the batter.

Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  Cut into squares to serve.

This cornbread is fabulous all on its own, but I especially love it with a stew or soup to dip it in! 

What have y'all been cooking up in your kitchens while I've been MIA?

No comments:

Post a Comment

love your comments!