Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Cupcakes

Without a doubt, one of the best fall flavors is pumpkin.  I started my love affair with pumpkin last Thanksgiving when I made my first batch of pumpkin bread.  Turns out, pumpkin bread is delicious for breakfast, as a side, and as a dessert.  So, needless to say, we went through that first batch pretty quickly.

About a month ago, I decided to start fall a bit early and begin the pumpkin madness.  Unfortunately, I did not follow the cardinal rule of cooking--READ before you DO.  I added twice the pumpkin puree that I needed...which means that I was filling every pan I could find with pumpkin batter.

It took us quite a while to work our way (and GIVE away!) this much pumpkin.  So, I waited until just this past weekend to start the pumpkin craze again. 

Aiding in my addiction, I noticed that Cooking Light tweeted a list of some delicious Pumpkin recipes that I plan to try soon. 

Without further ado, here's the cupcake recipe I used and altered this weekend.

Pumpkin Cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour


1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 cup packed dark-brown sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree


Preheat oven to 350.  Place liners in cupcake pans. Stir together all dry ingredients.  Stir together all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.  Slowly add dry mixture into wet mixture. 

Cook at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Thanks to Ashley, we iced these with some fabulous cream cheese icing.  Definitely my favorite.

I made a combination of regular size cupcakes and miniature cupcakes; I think we ultimately decided that no matter how many mini cupcakes you eat, it will never equal the calorie and fat content of the regular cupcakes....right?!

1 comment:

  1. These cupcakes look amazing - and I know that they were probably delicious!

    I hate hate HATE being allergic to cinnamon!

    My birthday is coming up, and the one thing that would make me the happiest is a loaf of your AMAZING Pumpkin bread...please :)haha!

    ReplyDelete

love your comments!